Kythe – Ateneo
PRESIDENT: Ken L. Mordeno
CONTACT DETAILS: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kythe-Ateneo is the student arm of Kythe Foundation Inc., a non-stock non-profit organization dedicated to providing support to pediatric patients with chronic illnesses such as cancer, kidney diseases and blood disorders, and their families from its affiliate hospitals.
As Kythers, we aim to provide psychosocial support to the children and their families through our regular interactions with them in the hospital and in our advocacy events. Our encounters with the kids work toward alleviating the stress brought onto them by their condition and hospitalization through therapeutic play and meaningful interactions.
In Kythe-Ateneo, we do not identify the children with their condition; instead, we see them as kids – kids who should be given the chance to play, learn, and grow. We believe in doing all we can to give these children the normal childhood they deserve.
V I S I O N
The primary vision of Kythe-Ateneo is to uplift the spirits of pediatric patients and their families through hospital volunteerism. Kythe-Ateneo also aims to promote awareness and advocacy of the Child Life Program in the Philippines and consequently, form its members into responsible and compassionate persons. The objective of the Kythe Child Life Program is to provide psychosocial support that alleviates the anxiety of pediatric patients who suffer from illness such as cancer, heart condition, kidney disease, and blood disorders. The Kythe Child Life Program specializes in promoting optimum growth, fostering development and helping the children cope with the challenge of hospitalization.
M I S S I O N
Guided by Kythe-Ateneo’s vision, the organization’s primary mission is to provide direct (psychosocial) and indirect (financial) assistance to pediatric patients with chronic illnesses and their families in AFP Medical Center (AFPMC), Philippine Orthopedic Center (POC), Quirino Memorial Medical Center (QMMC), Philippine Children’s Medical Center (PCMC), Philippine Heart Center (PHC), and National Children’s Hospital (NCH); and in so doing, form its members into responsible and compassionate persons. Psychosocial support will be given in the form of prepared structured activities for the pediatric patients, including both bedside and playroom activities held in the hospital. Indirect assistance will be given in the form of money or goods, which must be channeled through Kythe Foundation, Inc. Kythe-Ateneo’s secondary mission is to promote awareness of what the Kythe Child Life Program is through on and off campus advocacy and finance activities.
- Advocating the Child Life Program
- Members’ Knowledge and practice of the Child Life Program
- Fatima Garcia Lorenzo and Icar Castro conducted their MA thesis on psychotherapy on pediatric cancer children. 24 years later, that thesis is now Kythe-Ateneo.
- Kythe-Ateneo now celebrates its 23rd year as an organization!
- In 2006 and 2011, Kythe-Ateneo was a finalist for the Ten Accomplished Youth Organizations (TAYO) Awards, a search for outstanding youth organizations in the Philippines.
- Member Formation Initiatives – Member Formation initiatives cultivate and enrich a Kyther’s personal and communal growth. Through reflection sessions, team building sessions, leadership seminars, and evaluations, members can explore their role in the organization’s mission, and further integrate themselves in the wider community.
- Celebrate Life Parties – The Celebrate Life Party (CLP) is a themed children’s party held in the hospital. It includes a program with activities, performances, and food to uplift the spirits of the children and their families.
- Finance Projects – A handful of finance projects are held within the year to raise funds for various efforts such as painting hospital walls, bringing kids to field trips, donating colorful bedsheets and the like. Through these, we aim to contribute in giving a healthy environment for the kids and their families while in the hospital.
- Child Life Program – The objective of the Kythe Child Life Program is to provide psycho- social support that alleviates the anxiety of pediatric patients who suffer from illnesses such as cancer, heart condition, kidney disease, and blood disorders. The Kythe Child Life Program specializes in promoting optimum growth, fostering development and helping the children cope with the challenge of hospitalization.
Kythe Week + Kythe Flying
Kythe Week + Kythe Flying
This week-long affair gives the Ateneo community a chance to participate in our advocacy through events like Blood Drive, Hair2Share, Be Brave Get Shaved, & Kythe Flying, the culminating event.
Hospital Visits (everyday)
Kythers are given the opportunity to visit our affiliate hospitals to play and spend quality time with the kids and their families.
Reflection sessions are avenues for the Kythers to reflect and share their experiences in the organization. Through a series of talks and activities, members are encouraged to find deeper meaning in their involvement.