PRESIDENT: Jonn Angel L. Aranas
CONTACT DETAILS: firstname.lastname@example.org
Gabay is one of the oldest organizations in the Ateneo, and is now in its 40th year of championing its advocacy of education and scholarship. From our daily kumustahan in the org room to our weekly tutoring sessions, we Gabayanos dedicate our org life to a mutual cause: Pagtataya.
Contrary to the widespread belief that Gabay is exclusive to scholars, the organization also consists of non-scholars who play a vital role in serving the Ateneo scholars and public elementary school students, or Erya kids. With our projects geared toward the holistic formation of our members, we believe we can respond to the call of nation-building.
Beyond being an active organization because it serves a diverse set of people, Gabay is also a family. There is an enduring bond among us that helps us accomplish our goal to serve, and by the grace of God, we are guided by our mantra: Pinili kong magtaya. Nangangako akong magtaya. Malaya akong nagtataya.
V I S I O N
Bilang pagtupad sa dakilang kautusan ni Kristo na Mahalin ninyo ang inyong kapwa tulad ng pagmamahal Ko sa inyo (Juan 13:34), tinatanaw ng Gabay na makabuo ng isang komunidad na magtataguyod ng kabutihan ng mga iskolar na magiging halimbawa ng tao-para-sa-kapwa. Isasakatuparan ito sa pamamagitan ng payak na pamumuhay, pananampalatayang isinasabuhay, at paglilingkod sa nagbabagong mundo tungo sa pagtataguyod ng kaharian ng Diyos na puspos ng kapayapaan at katarungan.
M I S S I O N
Itaguyod ang ganap na pagkahubog nang may pagpapahalaga sa kasanayan ng pagkatuto ng mga kasapi, mga iskolar ng Pamantasan ng Ateneo de Manila, at mga mag-aaral mula sa mababang pampublikong paaralan.
- Service and Formation for the Scholars’ Community
- Service and Formation for the Public Elementary School children
- Service and Formation for Gabayanos
- Chief Justice Ma. Lourdes Sereno, public servant Risa Hontiveros, and Math Department Professor Ms. Flordeliza F. Francisco were all former Gabayanos! Some of the current professors in LS were also former Gabayanos like Mr. Jeric Briones (Math Dept.), Mr. Mark Lim (Fil Dept.) and Mr. Henson Lee-Yu (Chem Dept.).
- The organization started with just two committees: Social Adjustment and Academics. Now it has grown to five committees, adding Education Operations, Education Formation, and Spiritual Formation.
- “Gagabayan Kita” (Gabay Song), despite having been composed almost two decades ago, is still being sung after every event that brings the members together—be it in a team-building activity, the annual Christmas party, or a caroling visit to an alumnus’ house—and with everyone holding hands in a big circle reminiscent of the home they have found with friends that are joined together by a similar passion for service.
- Gabay is not an organization of scholars. Even non-scholars have the privilege to join and be part of the family! In the recent years, the number of non-scholar members has increased and some of them even became part of the Executive Committee. It’s because we are keeping up with the people we care for and the ideals we are passionate about.
- Scholar Empowerment – Gabay, in cooperation with OAA, aims to facilitate the scholars’ academic and social adjustment in LS and to foster closer cooperation and mutual assistance among scholars of all year levels. Among its services and programs are Book Lending, Sample Long Exam Lending, Academic Assistance Program, Scholars’ Support Group, Scholars’ Brochure, Scholars’ Privilege Card, Service Hours Catalogue, Acad Session, Lente, and G?! : Inspirational Forum for Scholars.
- Gabay Erya Formation Program in Industrial Valley Elementary School and Holy Spirit Elementary School – The Gabay Erya Formation Program aims to supplement the knowledge of students on Mathematics and English in order to improve the foundation of their education.
- Service and Formation for Members – We also have a lot to offer for the formation of our members. Among its formation programs and activities are Erya Program, Chill Program, Angel-Soul and Angkan Schemes, Skills Training and Development, Performing Groups, etc.
Erya Alternative Class Program
A weeklong event filled with fun and inspirational programs, Scholars’ Week brings both the Ateneo scholars and non-scholars together to celebrate the value of scholarship and education.
Erya Alternative Class Program
Instead of the usual Math and English tutoring sessions in their classrooms, our Erya kids go to Ateneo to bond with their tutors and experience new classes such as performing arts and sciences.
This weekly small group sharing of Gabayanos gives us time to reflect and spiritually ground ourselves in light of the organization’s vision and values.